Twp Books

The Green Township Historical Association is proud to have had two members publish works about Green Township.  Please visit these authors publishers websites and support these individuals efforts to preserve and spread the word about Green Township History.


A Bicentennial History of Green Township:  Uncovering a Jewel in the Crown of the Queen City  1809-2009
By: Joe Flickinger
Published in 2011, Heritage Books

Book Description:
In 1809, Cincinnati was officially a burgeoning Wild West town. It was called the “gateway to the west” by the people pouring onto the public landing from the myriad of steamboats docking by the river’s edge. Meanwhile, a densely forested, recently opened area just  miles outside the city was being organized. A handful of rough and tumble frontiersman took a break from cutting their farms from the forest and answered the call from the constable to attend a meeting establishing a township. This township met the requirements of the Land Ordinance of 1785—a thirty-six square mile tract of land; the only one laid out this way in the Symmes Purchase. These men unknowingly were helping to set the stage for what would become one of the largest townships in Ohio. In 2009, two hundred years after its founding, Green Township has become known as the “Westside” by outsiders. To those who live there, it is called home. This book celebrates the history and heritage of Green Township, and its journey from isolated frontier wilderness to being one of the largest townships in the state of Ohio. Numerous photographs, an appendix, a bibliography, and a full-name index add to the value of this work. 2011, 5½x8½, paper, index, 130 pp. 


To order a copy, please click HERE for the publishers website.




Hamilton County's Green Township
By Jeff Lueders
Published in 2006, Arcadia Publishing


Book Description:
The Green Township communities of Bridgetown, Covedale, Dent, Mack, Monfort Heights, and White Oak had their humble beginnings in 1809. By the early 1900s, Green Township was primarily a rural farming community. The advent of the streetcar, and eventually the automobile, made traveling much easier. New and improved roads and better cars in the 1930s and 1940s enabled workers to commute to Cincinnati or the industrial Millcreek Valley. With this growth, the west side expanded greatly with the building of new homes, schools, and churches. By 1940, there were 18,500 Green Township residents. By 1960, the number had grown to more than 37,300. The 2000 census listed 55,660 residents, making Green Township the second-largest township in Ohio.

To order a copy, please click HERE for the publishers website.